Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

How This Starchy Carb Supported My Rapid Weight Loss: The Nutritional Value of Corn!

In 2010, I was on a mission to lose 20 pounds as quickly as possible. In fact, I had only six weeks to accomplish my goal. My 40th birthday celebration, scheduled to take place in my hometown of Milwaukee, WI, drove this fanatical deadline. Despite a sluggish metabolism and different body composition, my dearest childhood, high school, and college friends would see me just as fit as the time before I relocated to Los Angeles, California 17 years prior. I made every effort to lose weight, build muscle, and regain my six-pack at the age of 39, and I used a common vegetable to achieve my goal.

I attempted to go from 184 to 164 pounds in a hurry. I needed to lose weight and burn fat while building and retaining muscle. As I sketched out my exercise program and weekly benchmark goals, I wondered if I was the delusional guy my friends snickered at every time they saw me remove my shirt in the gym's locker room- a small pouch revealing two abdominal muscles at best. However, I used the ridicule as motivation and became fiercely convinced in my mind that I could do it. Due to my obsession, I trained four days a week and twice a day on the weekends.

Nonetheless, I knew that a comprehensive training regimen consisting of basketball, swimming, climbing the Baldwin Hills Scenic Park Stairs, scaling the Manhattan Beach Sand Dune, and weight training would be moot without proper nutrition and a balanced diet. This became apparent after the first week as I eliminated carbohydrates from my diet and consumed only meals high in protein. I felt lethargic, lacked the necessary stamina to complete workouts, and grew concerned about how this rapid weight loss strategy impacted my health.

Therefore, I consulted with a personal trainer who shared several strategies that he thought would support my weight loss and muscle building goals. After the basics were covered, such as high consumptions of lean meats and green vegetables rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals, the trainer recommended that I eat moderate servings of corn on weight training days. This would help fuel my energy reserves to sustain those intense workouts. The advice did not resonate with me initially because I knew corn to be a starchy carbohydrate that digested quickly, had a high glycemic index ranking, triggered spikes in blood glucose levels, and ultimately circumvented weight loss. Conversely, the trainer contended that corn was exceptionally healthy for a starchy vegetable and if consumed properly could support weight loss. He spoke with such conviction about the nutritional value of corn that I decided to conduct some research on the topic to understand better its benefits.

Maize, the inceptive name for corn, has been the cornerstone and staple diet of many cultures for hundreds of thousands of years. Although there is an ongoing debate on whether corn is a grain, fruit, or vegetable, most in the science community believe that it is a grain that was nurtured and developed from a plant called Teosinte. However, depending on its scientific reference, corn can be considered any of the above, and its preparation as a grain (cereal, popcorn, etc.) or vegetable will also determine its nutritional value.

Corn has the greatest nutritional value as a vegetable because it consists of high amounts of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Corn is full of the fiber content and antioxidants necessary for slow digestion and regular elimination, which controls blood sugar levels and manages weight, respectively. In addition, corn is a slow releasing carbohydrate, which means there is a continual discharge of energy. This is critical for sustaining those intense workouts. The water content in corn is equally essential to training and recovery as it keeps you hydrated. Corn also contains adequate amounts of vitamins, such as A, B, C, and E. The key minerals found in corn are iron, niacin, and potassium, to name a few. Niacin along with fiber lowers blood cholesterol levels, whereas potassium regulates blood pressure. The caloric intake from corn when consumed in moderation is relatively low, yet enough to give the feeling of fullness to circumvent excessive eating and snacking. Among the other health benefits of corn, it is also known to be a good support for the heart, eyes, skin, and regulating blood pressure and sugar levels.

Therefore, the next time you need to rapidly lose weight, be sure to include corn in your diet, as it will boost your energy level for training. Corn is low in sodium and can be prepared and eaten in a variety of ways. However, be mindful of serving sizes and limit the amount of fatty and water retaining additives like butter and salt. For added flavor, consider mixing in tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lemon juice, and black pepper. This is a delicious corn salad that can be eaten raw or cooked. In addition, this is an effective way to incorporate more veggies into your meal.

In the six-weeks, I lost 14.5 pounds and looked terrific, fit, and most important I felt healthy for my 40th birthday celebration. Although I did not lose 20 pounds in the allotted timeframe, my discipline catapulted me past my original goal as I lost an amazing 30 pounds in just three months. The six-pack was back. This was a pleasant surprise, and I ate corn the whole way!

0 comments:

Post a Comment